Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I GET THROWN IN A CELL WITH CAPTAIN MAKEMAKE



Aug 2nd 2011, 15:00 by E O Hatterpol | 1228 AU FROM SUN

The policeman handcuffed me.  I struggled against the chalky floor.  Heartbreak just shrugged.

If I had known who was waiting for me in that cell, I would have gladly stayed with the unnatural gymnasts.


The policeman grabbed the back of my bony elbow with his thick, clammy fingers and walked me across the huge Starbase in shame.  I heard unseen people whisper; I saw them glance at me and then look away like I was a gruesome car wreck on the side of a beat-up highway or a guilty pleasure to be relished discreetly.  Inside the white and blue police station, it smelled like stale coffee - probably from the StarLight Espresso Bar - and dried fingerprint ink pads; I could almost taste the station's warped opinion of itself.

The policeman brusquely uncuffed me and mashed my pointer finger mercilessly into dark blue ink.  He unjustly stole all my fingerprints, then made me fill out some forms, which I did angrily.  He snapped my mug shot hurriedly, then unceremoniously tossed me into a holding cell.  I slid ungracefully to a stop before two pairs of craggy feet; they were bare and pockmarked, and waved hello at me absurdly.  I followed them up until I found a face.

"Captain Makemake?!" I sputtered sloppily.

The great oafish rock smiled big enough to swallow an alligator.  I skitted away like a soft-shell crab to the far corner of the cell, scrambling backwards on hands and feet.

"No..." I gasped.  "No... this can't be!"

I spun around and shook the thick, metal bars, attracting the guard's attention.  When he came close enough, I mashed by face through the slats and cried:

"Nixie!  Go get Nixie!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment