Friday, August 19, 2011

MASTER BOKOR KIDNAPS NIXIE



Aug 19th 2011, 1:56 by E O Hatterpol | 1228 AU FROM SUN


I poked my head out of the hole I had dug in the mountain of books, brandishing a small tome.


"I don't believe it!  Here it is, Nixie, just like D D Mayfield said!"


Ravi the Bookman was deeply absorbed with Spæcethyme h& why it's himportant h& other critical harticles, turning it over and over in his paperback fingers; he seemed confused, or intrigued, or maybe even afraid to crack open its bright red cover.


"Look at this!" I said excitedly.  "'Bokors' are actually Haitian vodou sorcerors!  They poison their victims 'dead' with puffer fish extract, only to be 'resurrected' later when it wears off.  But then they use datura --"


"A type of plant," Ravi added helpfully.


"-- to control them by perpetual delirium, which means whoever he is, he's not magical."


"But look here," Nixie interjected, pointing to a paragraph on the next page.  "'Bokors' come in the night and whip their victims savagely, beating their 'spirit' out of them into a fetish --"


"A man-made object with supernatural powers over others, like voodoo dolls," Ravi clarified.


"-- that lends them strength," Nixie finished.  "Seems magical to me."


"Oh, but look here!" I exclaimed.  "Would you believe it? Salt makes zonbis crazy - so crazy even their bokor can't control them!  All you have to do is throw it in their faces; good thing I keep salt on my pink utility belt at all times," I said, patting its compartment with pride.


I smiled at Nixie; she smiled at me.  This breakthrough had both our emotions running high.


I leaned in for the kiss.  She kissed me back.  When I pulled away, I saw she was blushing a shade of red deeper than the book in Ravi's hands.


"Let's go save Starbase Octopus!" I shouted, beaming.


It wasn't long before Ravi was parting his wall of books to let us through; we turned and waved goodbye.  But just when the last hardback had sorted itself into place, a terrible pain seized my head like a vice grip.  


I dropped to my knees and shoved my hands into my eyeballs, rubbing and rubbing and rubbing, but all I could see was the colour red.  And again that painful string of words:


"Metamorpholis tools merfolk sausage fest qniversity Squall ration..."


And on and on until I couldn't take it anymore.  


"Man in Red - get out of my head!" I screamed.


Then it stopped.  My head pounded like a rail spike had been driven through it.  When the spots finally cleared and the darkness lifted, I gasped in shock: Nixie was nowhere to be found!


In her place, a single rose.


---


NO NEED to ask what we should do next; we have no choice but to find and rescue Nixie!  Somehow, I just know Master Bokor is behind this.


Problem is, I don't know Master Bokor's true identity!  Help me search for clues by revisiting my stay aboard Starbase Octopus!!


You've put on your choosing caps in the past; now I need you to wear your detective fedoras.  Post your sleuthing notes in the comments section below, on TwitterGoogle+ or Facebook.


I need your help, Flybrarians!  Find out who Master Bokor is and tell me before Nixie becomes a zonbi!!

No comments:

Post a Comment