Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I THINK CAPTAIN MAKEMAKE KNOWS TOO MUCH



Aug 2nd 2011, 22:20 by E O Hatterpol | 1228 AU FROM SUN

The guard dashed through the doors.  I gripped the cell bars.  Captain Makemake laughed behind me.

If I had known what he was about to tell me, I would have wanted out even more desperately.


Feeble light filtered through the small cell's bars from the front of the room.  The guard's fat ring of keys jangled metallically down the hallway, leaving the two of us alone.  Makemake and I both smelled like salt; our skin had identical patinas of sweat on them, except my hairs were raised.  It tasted like an alligator tail in there; green and slimy and waiting to slip through the mud to strike.

Captain Makemake sprang across the room, palmed my entire shoulder with just one of his great, big boulder-hands and lifted me six feet in the air.  My feet dangled helplessly against his rock-hard abs.

"How's your head?" he asked knowingly.

"You tell me!" I spat nastily, rubbing my temples.  I tried to wriggle free, but Makemake had me firmly in his grip.  I gave in.  "Well... I've noticed some strange things ever since you sent that red lightning into my brain.  Like during this heated fight with a female gymnast--"

"You felt so much energy pumping through your body that you could've split a coconut with your mind halfway across the beach?"

"Y- yeah, that's right, that's-- in fact, that's exactly what I said about it!  How'd you know... ??"

I looked at him sideways.  Are you trying to tell me this salty space pirate is also a psychic??!

"I follow your blog."


"Oh."

"You also grabbed your head after your fight with Heartbreak, didn't you?  '"Th- thanks," I managed, putting a hand to my head.'  You wrote that, didn't you?"

"Yeah, I did, but that was just because--"

"No.  It wasn't because you were dazed.  It was because of the man in red."

No comments:

Post a Comment