Monday, July 25, 2011

I GET CONFUSED BY MY OWN NEW POWERS



Jul 25th 2011, 13:13 by E O Hatterpol | 1228 AU FROM SUN


I slid down the wall and crumpled into a heap of pain, dazed by Heartbreak's Hurricane Haymaker.  I only have half a grasp on everything that happened next.


I think a rose landed in my lap; that seemed strange.  I think there was an uproar; I heard people asking for my life.  I didn't blame them; after all, I had probably just killed some of their best friends.


I had never killed another person before, even though I tried once; this time, I wasn't trying at all.  That -- that stuff -- it had just come out of me!  I didn't know it was going to happen; I didn't even know how I had done it!


And let's face it, I thought to myself, too shellshocked to hear the Dancehall's angry screams or see its twisted, monstrous cluster of snarling faces right up against mine, that stuff -- that stuff -- it was something magical.


But did magic really exist?  Not back on Earth, I told myself.  


But then how had I produced that whorling blue energy?  And why was I able to produce it now instead of back on that pirate ship when I could have really done some intentional damage with it?  What in my life had changed since then?  Was this power always inside me or had I been given it somehow, I don't know, by outer space or something?  And would I be able to do it again, but this time on command?


The questions whizzed around my head faster than the little blue whales and stars that appeared there every time I got dazed.  One thing was for sure, though: my life had changed dramatically since blasting off from Earth four months ago.  Forget "changed dramatically"; it felt more like my life would never be the same again.


"Gang way, gang way!"


The mass of angry people parted for Heartbreak.  He had one red arm across his guts; they looked pretty banged up.  I had definitely done a number on Heartbreak, but he had done at least two to me.


"You're a good fighter," he said with a smile.  "And I'd like to see more of that twirly technique.  Let's go back to my place and train together."


Heartbreak beamed at me, and then stretched out his padded fist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment