Friday, April 8, 2011

BANDAGED UP IN SICK BAY


Apr 8th 2011, 16:04 by E O Hatterpol | KUIPER BELT

AFTER another fitful night of sleep in the Kuiper Belt, I woke up feeling worse than usual.  Sick bay worse.

The nurse told me I had a concussion & 3 broken ribs.  That surprised me.  Don't get me wrong - I smacked into that bookshelf at top speed - but there's no way I could've done that much damage to myself!

A doctor came in later & said my ribs weren't broken; one was cracked & the other two were bruised.  Nothing so serious as to warrant transfer to the Starship Moby Dick.  They  prescribed medicine & rest, then bandaged up my forehead & braced my ribcage.

(Yes, I did ask what the Starship Moby Dick was.  Apparently, it's an all-white hospital built in the image of a sperm whale.)

This bites!  All I could think about last night were those strange, almost magical book stacks way back there in the dusty half-gloom.  What was that noise & how did it just disappear like that?  What other secrets does this enormous vessel hold deep in its belly?

I wish I could answer those questions.  For now, it's bed rest.  This means plenty of Doctor Who episodes & catching up with Bastian & Atreyu in my checked-out copy of The Neverending Story.

Relaxing with good science fiction & fantasy in the mouth of a blue whale nosing its way through the cluttered edge of our solar system?  It could get worse.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ms Byrne! After a long weekend, I'm feeling much better! Might have enough energy to go stick my nose in those bookstacks again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As archaic as this post is, I'm certain you are better. All the same, let's ignore traditional views of Time (it isn't ACTUALLY linear anyway), and I'll wish you a speedy recovery!

    To the Doctor and Atreyu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was definitely optimistic about my ribs back then, but they still haven't recovered fully.

    After the concussion, the bruised ribs healed, but the cracked rib took damage during the battle between me & Captain Makemake.

    (I took a Meteor Knee to the bookshield & the shock was so great it aggravated that one rib again. I haven't told that part of the story anywhere else on the internet yet as of the date below, so it's an easter egg just for my blog commentators! Cheers, huzzah & thanks for your support!)

    Now, if I'm not careful, that one rib pops out of place & catches my breath for a tick. And every time it does, I grimace & think of Captain Makemake & what he did to the Starship Flybrary & to its crew.

    I don't regret what I did to him.

    ReplyDelete