Tuesday, April 19, 2011

ALMOST FREE OF THE KUIPER BELT



Apr 19th 2011, 14:22 by E O Hatterpol | KUIPER BELT DAY 15


HERE we are at Kuiper Belt's edge.  It's been 15 long days, but it's almost over.  I hope this also spells the end of noisy ice pinging the whale's hull! 


We've crossed 55 astronomical units (AU) in five weeks; that's nearly 1 billion miles travelled every seven days.  I actually did the math: we're 5,112,573,820 miles from the sun.


That number will skyrocket once we break free into open space.  It should be soon, too; the captain is determined to get us there by Thursday.


I'd like to take these last days inside our solar system to thank all the honorary Flybrarians back on Earth who have joined me in spirit.  We're over 325 strong on Twitter with another 60 supporting the blue whale on Facebook.  I'm very humbled to have you along for the trip and hope our friendship will be a source of strength for me as I confront the newness of outer space.


See you on the outside - huzzah!

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget the 9 here on Blogger as well!

    No new messages from the oogly thingummy-in-residence of the stacks, then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blogger friends are my most precious Flybrarians, Princess - huzzah!

    ReplyDelete