Thursday, April 7, 2011

A NARROW MISS?





Apr 7th 2011, 13:34 by E O Hatterpol | KUIPER BELT


I WENT deeper into the stacks last night in search of that strange sound.  With belly full & head cleared, I figured I'd have a better chance at catching whatever was back there.


But nothing happened.  I roamed the aisles for what seemed like hours, scouring every shelf and shining light into every cranny.  It was disorienting, to be honest.  After a total of nearly half a day logged back there, I still don't have a clear picture of how many stacks there are or even what their layout is.  It's practically impossible to know which ground I've already covered & which is still left to explore.


So I gave up.  I just surrendered to the books back there.


I'm glad I did, because I ended up finding some really curious titles.  Titles that make me wonder about the true nature of this starship.


Remember yesterday, when I was talking about finding books "I thought authors had just made up"?  Fictional books that writers mention inside their own to make their imaginary universes more real? 


Well, I found more: Meric Cattanay: The Politics of Conception, by Reade Holland, Ph.D.; How to Putte Questiones to the Dark and understand its Answeres, author unknown; An Inquiry into some Points of Seamanship, by Tower, or Towson, I can't remember which; This Business of Griaule, by Henry Sichi; Hamster Huey & the Gooey Kablooie, author unknown; The Anatomy of a Minotaur, by Charles Hether-Gray; The Protocols of the Elders of Tralfamadore, by Kilgore Trout; One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, by Phyllida Spore; Revelations of Thirty-Six Other Worlds, by Paris Ormskirk; The History and Practice of English Magic, by Jonathan Strange; The Beatrice Rumfoord Galactic Cookbook, by Beatrice Rumfoord; Treatise Concerning the Language of Birds, by Thomas Lanchester; The True Purpose of Life in the Solar System, also by Beatrice Rumfoord; Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, by Newt Scamander; The Only Way to Have a Successful Revolution in Any Field of Human Activity, by Paul Slazinger; I even found Old Words and Names in the Shire by Merry Brandybuck!  Merry. bleeding. Brandybuck!!


That's when I heard it: the sound of a single page of thin India paper being turned.


It was so quiet among the stacks that the sudden noise startled me.  I yelled out, dropping my copy of On the Serving of Mustard after Meals, fourteen volumes, collected by M Vaurillon.  With my cowardly yelp & the tunk! of an enormous compendium hitting the floor, you can imagine whatever was responsible for the noise got scared, too.


I heard the sound intensify & immediately knew it was on the run.  I took chase, flying through the stacks.  But this time, I had no regard for any books or my own body.  I was determined to catch it up.


I followed the sound of pages flicking faster & faster, almost as if they were tearing.  I knew it couldn't keep up that pace for long.  Suddenly, I followed the sound down a narrow corridor.  This could be my chance!


I heard the noise slow down, then slow down further.  I sprinted.  I heard a rustling sound, like the sound of books being reorganized at top speed by ten Flybrarians at once.


Then the noise stopped completely.


I ran as quickly as I could, barreling down the stacks in the half-gloom.  Suddenly-


Ka-THONK!


I had run at breakneck speed straight into a stack of books.  I probably should have passed out on impact, but I managed to hold onto consciousness.  I went tumbling backwards, & must have brought some books with me, because I ended up in a pile of them.


I was dazed, & probably not in my right mind, but I swear to you there was nobody there except me.  It was a tight corridor filled top to bottom with books arranged at haphazard angles.  There was only room for one person at a time; if somebody passed me, we'd have to turn sideways & suck in our bellies to negotiate it.


And nobody passed me on my way in.


Once the stars went away, I shook my head a bit & scoured the bookshelves for any sign of life.  This is going to sound stupid, but I thought maybe a squirrel or some other rodent had escaped from our zoo, so I looked all along the shelves for furry creatures.


I even dropped entire rows of books onto the floor without any respect in a desperate attempt to find some kind of trap door or secret passageway, but there wasn't anything.


I know it's been three some-odd weeks in space; maybe blast-off loosened my brains, or maybe I'm just getting cabin fever.


But maybe I'm right.  There's something back here & I'm going to find it.

4 comments:

  1. Forget the hobbit!!! "The History and Practice of English Magic" by JONATHAN STRANGE! THE Jonathan Strange!!! Why, cursed fate, did I not think to board the Flybrary when it was here?!

    Are you certain you are wearing enough protection to deal with a BookBeast, an UnknownCreepyThing, or a squirrel that may or may not be rabid? Keep us posted on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right?! Jonathan Strange!!

    But seriously, M Vaurillon's fourteen volume collection on the serving of mustard after meals is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well of course it is! But while mustard has amassed itself an army of followers (from the wisened warriors of Wall Street to the wee babes at their first baseball games), Strange needs troops to compete with the Norrellites and their boring ways! Alas, I suppose I shall be forever too absorbed in Strange to know the secrets of the humble mustard seed's success...

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU KNOW, at the end of Ms Clarke's novel, Strange & Mr Norrell are working together to widen the world of English magic. What could be less boring than that?

    ReplyDelete