Tuesday, April 5, 2011

KUIPER BELT BLUES



Apr 5th 2011, 12:10 by E O Hatterpol | KUIPER BELT


SO.  TIRED.  Pluto was fun, but now we're in the thick of the Kuiper Belt & it's miserable.  The constant "ping!" of debris is back, & it's back with a vengeance.  All the junk floating out here makes a different sound when it hits the Flybrary, like hyena claws scraping against a blackboard made of tinkling wind chimes.


I think it's due to the fact that most objects out here are composed of methane, water & ammonia - much harder to tune out than the dull thonks of the asteroid belt (which I now see was pleasantly rocky).


The Kuiper belt is 20 times wider than the asteroid belt, too - does that mean it's going to take us 20 days to cross?  I think I'll die of exhaustion first!  Here I was, thinking I finally had my spacefeet under me.


I think I'll take up a regular seat at the Whale's Liver.  With all this noise, I can't see any way to fall asleep unless I'm passing out.


Anyways, I'm not sure if our flight path will take us past any other dwarf planets / plutoids, like Eris, Haumea or Makemake.  Makemake is my personal favourite because whenever the RHs say it, they add "out".


They're a fun crew, the night guys.  Not like the LHs at all, whom I've found to be a bit stuffy. I only ever see them running around with their heads cut off, muttering under their breath about how little work the RHs do.  I don't believe 'em!


I don't really care about anybody right now.  I just. want. to go. to sleep.  If I'm lucky tonight, the pint will be my pillow.

4 comments:

  1. Cheer up EO! Maybe you can get some ear plugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks, Ms Byrne. They way this stuff screeches, I bet I'll have to push the entire pillow down my ear canal first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In spite of the enormous sympathy I feel for your poor sleep cycle (I'm the eldest of 5 siblings. Various missiles launching at my bedroom door at 2 a.m. came with the territory), I absolutely LOVE this update! You see, I am being attacked horrendously by Chemistry finals and needed a good distraction. Thank you from Earth!

    And earplugs may not work, but have you tried blasting music to distract from the bangings/tinklings?

    I think I'd rather hang out with the RHs any day.

    Hope you slept!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chemistry? Not my strong suit. Good luck on your finals from outer space!

    You might know this already, but I ended up drinking too much cold syrup. I did get some sleep, but things have been weird ever since.

    Probably should've just stuck to pints with the RHs, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete