Monday, May 9, 2011

FLURRY OF COMMUNICATIONS



May 9th 2011, 11:26 by E O Hatterpol | 97 AU FROM SUN


CAPTAIN Makemake's painful howls chased me down the hallway, spurring me onward.  I was determined to find a different way to reach the BPOD safely.


I did well navigating the ship's narrow, meandering passageways until the captain's voice boomed over the PA system again: "PIRATES BOARDING THE SHIP, REPEAT: PIRATES BOARDING THE SHIP.  LEFT HEMISPHERES TO EXECUTE DEFENSIVE PROTOCOL WHALE-8 RAY-17 SK..."


Wait! I thought to myself.  Did I just take a wrong turn?  There are too many confusing words & numbers coming at me!


"...RIGHT HEMISPHERES ASSEMBLE INTO HORSESHOE CRAB FORMATION IMME..."


My lungs were pounding.  Should I go back & correct?  But what if Captain Makemake has made it through the loading dock doors?  I should probably just keep going, but there's another fork coming up... do I go left or right?!


"...NOW LET'S PUT THE 'MUSCLE' IN 'BALAENOPTERA MUSCULUS'!"


By the time the Captain finished giving emergency orders, I was completely lost.  I paused for a moment, listening silently for any sound of the disfigured pirate, but all I could hear was the occasional sharp thud.  I decided the coast was clear - for the moment - & slid into a nearby computer bank.


It was risky, but I just had to get in touch with my friends back home to let them know what was happening.  I knew I didn't have much time before Captain Makemake caught up to me, so I made a drawing of their ships, scanned it in to the computer, polished it up a bit, uploaded it to the blog, wrote an accompanying post, edited the post, published the whole thing online and disseminated it to my Earthbound Flybrarians via Facebook & Twitter.


Then I got the hell out of there.

1 comment: