Wednesday, May 11, 2011

SHOW YOURSELF!



May 12th 2011, 11:10 by E O Hatterpol | 130 AU FROM SUN


I LAID still for a long time, clutching the beer bottle with white knuckles & fighting the urge to take a full breath.  I had just narrowly avoided death.


Once the coast was clear, I took a moment to collect my thoughts; after all, I had never been in a situation like this before.  I was just a travel writer en route to his next assignment - far from heroic work, that.


I looked at the bottle in my hand & thought, "What bastard litters in a library?"


And then it hit me like a lightbulb exclamation point: I had.


I held the Whale Ale up to the light; it was empty.  The note I had drunkenly scribbled on a napkin three days earlier was gone.


Seeing my own empty beer bottle after narrowly avoiding death was too much for me.  I snapped.  I shot up from the ground & jumped into the main aisle.


"SHOW YOURSELF!" I cried.


I didn't care if Makemake & his pirates heard me anymore; I had been grappling with the bookstacks mystery long before they ambushed us.


For a moment, all was silent save my frustrated echo.  And then, directly behind me, the crisp sound of a single leaf of thin India paper turning in the darkness.

4 comments:

  1. -on tenterhooks, eyes as big as saucers, REALLY glad I wasn't reading this real-time as the suspense would have killed me and I would have had to haunt your blog for all eternity making random Doctor Who references-

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you can be my blog ghost anytime - nearly-headless Princess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the india paper...
    and, please sir, would you kindly instruct this follower how to pronounce Makemake? i don't want it to be like Hermione...totally mispronouncing it and then having to wrap my head around the correct way! right now, i am saying, "mah'-key-mah'-key."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Captain Makemake's name is pronounced "Make-make", like the verb repeated twice.

    ReplyDelete