Friday, May 6, 2011

ALL HANDS ON DECK



May 6th 2011, 11:10 by E O Hatterpol | 73 AU FROM SUN


I STRUGGLED against the stubborn sliding doors, widening the opening enough to reach an arm through.  That's when I saw his evil, pock-marked face.


I recoiled & gasped; had I opened a monster's pen?  The impact crater on his head hypnotized me - I couldn't move.  His exposed eye was red with bloodlust; the other hid behind a Jolly Roger.  His nose was sharp & cunning like the beak of a bird of prey; his broad grin looked like it was only good for cackling humourlessly.  His chin, cheeks & forehead were covered in cuts, scrapes & scars; he looked like a living asteroid.


"Come to let me in?" he asked.  His voice was like a crocodile's open mouth: full of dangerous potential.


He reached through the gap & grabbed the tail of my shirt.  I screamed, beating against his craggy wrist to free myself.


"Don't panic," he said soothingly.  "Captain Makemake is going to take care of you."


I let go of the sliding doors; they snapped shut.  Captain Makemake cried out in pain as they pinched his arm; he had no choice but to open his fist.


I didn't wait for a second opportunity.  I turned around, put my head down & ran.

3 comments:

  1. YEESH that guy looks creepy! RUN, HATTERPOL, RUN TO THE STACKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DID - right into the bookstacks mystery. When it rains, it pours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. once again, love the art (and text on hand) as well as the mystery and reader's expectations.

    ReplyDelete