Wednesday, March 16, 2011

PAST THE CLARKE BELT




Mar 16th 2011, 08:41 by E O Hatterpol | EDGE OF CLARKE BELT

LET me start off by apologizing in advance for any satellite problems you experience back on Earth. The Starship Flybrary is enormous, you see, so it's very difficult to dodge all the equipment we've sent up previously to help us with GPS, communications & weather.

I hope you'll excuse my writing today if it's a bit sloppy; I'm feeling kind of tired & groggy after a bad night's sleep. I was so excited to be up in space for the first time that the first thing I did after yesterday's post was explore the Flybrary as much as I possibly could; it's so awesome!! I can't wait to tell you all about it!

But listen what happened to me first. When I had finally worn myself out enough to think about going to sleep, I was jolted out of bed by a sharp *CLANK* on the side of the starship! I was pretty scared - aliens? Aggressive army of asteroids?? Luckily, the captain came over the PA system:

"*psh* 'Ahoy Starship Flybrary, this is the captain speaking. We seem to have, ah, gently nudged a global positioning satellite out of our flight path. Nothing to worry about unless you're currently stuck in traffic back on Earth & attempting to calculate an alternate route. Please resume normal activity. That is all.' *psh*"

Another nasty clang shook me from my slumber early this morning as we passed through the Clarke Belt. Apparently, the blue whale's tail knocked a communications satellite clear out of geostationary orbit!

This is highly unfortunate because I'll need every satellite I can get to relay my writings while in transit & on the Homesphære. If any of you get this message, leave me a quick note so I know the data streams are functioning.

I really hope this captain is more experienced than I think he is... wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. Greetings from Earth! What's it like floating through space in a giant blue whale?
    PS-got lost on the way to work this morning, GPS kept recalculating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Floating through space on a gigantic starship shaped like a blue whale is pretty... epic! Sorry about the morning commute... somebody needs to do something about that crazy captain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, EO, for the explanation about the Clarke Belt and geostationary. I am feeling like any and all sidebars will be helpful to this non-Space Traveler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, Ms Pelto! I'm learning about it right alongside you! I'm no astronaut - just a travel writer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoroughly enjoying your writings! Had to start fromt he beginning and am now working my way through your adventures! GO HOMESPHAERE!

    Oru

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool, Oru! Glad you're enjoying it & we'll see you in the present once you've caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better late than never? Ultra-slow data streams here......

    ReplyDelete
  8. THAT'S what happens the further we get from Earth, Devon. I bet you'll catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete